Creative Recovery and Resilience Forum [2021-2022]
The Creative Recovery and Resilience Forum provided a high-level framework for exploring themes, issues and opportunities for the ACT creative sector relating to recovery and resilience, for the benefit of project participants and the ACT creative ecology more broadly.
The Forum was co-led by Vahri McKenzie and Cathy Hope of the Centre for Creative and Cultural Research (University of Canberra) for artsACT. Denise Thwaites was Forum convener and and Kiri Morcombe was Forum Creative Producer.
Nine activities were produced between December 2021 and August 2022 in various locations, employing 90 artists and engaging 350 sector participants.
Keeping it Together: 2 December 2021, 5:30pm – 7:30pm. This playful and participatory online event explored the trials, tribulations and surprising silver-linings encountered as creative individuals and communities living through recent global events.
L: screenshot from Keeping it Together online event recording featuring DJ Maleika
Snailbox | the slow project (March to May 2022) was a letter-writing activity for 9 artists and a broader circle of readers and writers.
Keeping it Real: 4 June 2022, 1:00pm – 5:00pm, University of Canberra, saw us drawing together the themes and outcomes of the whole Creative Recovery and Resilience Program, with three activities and 100 participants.
Pitch Lab piloted a new model to deliver arts industry support, with 7 artists vying for $4000 in prize money as voted by those 7 artists.
L: Adam Deusien facilitates Pitch Lab at Keeping it Real. Photograph by Daniel Evans.
Seat at the Table gave 40 artists the opportunity to participate in a facilitated conversation about challenges, strategies, connections and support for the sector.
Showcase was a pop-up exhibition of photographs, films and other documents made by Creative Recovery and Resilience artists and producers over the last year, with guided tours by CRRP Artist in Residence Miriam Slater.
First Nations Gathering of Cultural Creatives: 7 August 2022, 3:00pm – 6:00pm
A yarning circle of cultural creatives brought together Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, art workers, and arts supporters in a round table event hosted by the University of Canberra and ArtsACT to explore themes, issues, and opportunities for the ACT creative sector.
Read the full article by Barrina South here.
This project was supported by:
- The online home for UC’s CRRP projects, https://creativeact.org.au/
- A case study of CRRP Creative Producer Kiri Morcombe, On Leaving and Returning
- Writer in residence Simone Penkethman’s response to Keeping it Together, Keeping it Together… and going to pieces
- Illustrator Juliette Dudley’s response to Keeping it Together
- Artist in residence Jacqui Malin’s response to Skills Caravan 1, Jumping on the Skills Caravan
- Writer in residence Simone Penkethman’s response to Skills Caravan 2, Running Stitch at a Walking Pace
- Writer in residence Simone Penkethman’s response to Skills Caravan 3, The Privilege of Occupying Space
- Illustrator Juliette Dudley’s response to Keeping it Real
- Writer in residence Simone Penkethman’s response to Pitch Lab, 7 Stories of Arts Right Now
- Writer in residence Simone Penkethman’s response to Snailbox, Sprigs of foliage tumble
- Writer in residence Simone Penkethman’s response to Seat at the Table
- Writer in residence Simone Penkethman’s response to being CRRP Writer in Residence, Looking Backwards and Forwards