Only the Envelope [2016-2017]
Only the Envelope is a live art installation shown in Bunbury Regional Art Galleries’ Archive Room that investigates the ways we share personal information in the public sphere. In this work a ‘scientist’ offered visitors the opportunity to be involved in an ‘experiment’ by viewing an original video while wearing an eye-tracking device. Only the Envelope offers a recursively playful performance of faith in ‘science’ that troubles a distinction between the apparently private experience of viewing art with the apparently public experience of being surveilled.
Image credit: Vahri McKenzie, Only the Envelope, Bunbury Regional Art Galleries, 2016. Photograph by Vahri McKenzie and Rachelle Rechichi.
Only the Envelope Re-enactment Video
Installation view. Photograph courtesy of BRAG.
This project was supported by:
- Bunbury Regional Art Galleries [exhibitions catalogue]
- Edith Cowan University’s School of Arts and Humanities Small Research Grants
- Edith Cowan University’s e-Research Technology Funding Scheme
- McKenzie, Vahri (2017). Only the Envelope: An Artistic Exercise in Data Retention, PARtake: The Journal of Performance as Research 1(2), Article 5.
- McKenzie, Vahri (2017). Only the Envelope: Opening up participation, surveillance and consent in performance, Performance Matters 3 (2), 57-71.
- McKenzie, Vahri and Ferguson, Neil K. (2018). Only the Envelope: artistic interpretations of eye-tracking imagery. Journal for Artistic Research 15.